My Electronics Have Water Damage, Now What?
Just about everyone has experienced the pain of electronic damage after an unfortunate drop or puddle. Because water and electronics do not mix, after your business experiences flooding, you might be thinking there is nothing you can do but be out thousands of dollars to replace your electronics. Fortunately, there are a few ways you can help save your equipment.
The first step is to turn off the power. This helps to reduce the risk of wiring issues and electrical fires after a water loss. This also reduces the risk of harm to those still on the property after a loss.
- Turn off the building’s main power
- Unplug the device if it is safe to do so
- Remove the battery
- Verify that there is no power to the device
This can prevent a nasty shock. If the device was not on and it does not have an internal battery, there might not be any damage once it dries out. Do not power it on until you are certain it is completely dry.
The second step is to disassemble the device. Only follow this step if you are experienced with the make of the electronic.
If you know what you are doing, you can disassemble the device to let out the rest of the water and speed drying. Check the manufacturer’s warranty to ensure that taking it apart does not void your policy.
Use a Light Acid or Base To Clean the Components
To clean flooded electronics, take a weak acid or base such as water mixed with laundry detergent and wipe off the components. This can remove any residue left behind as it dries. Be sure to use a soft nonstatic cloth or cotton swab dipped in the solution to prevent corrosion. You have to be very careful when doing this. It is very easy to damage the tiny components.