Winter in Northwest Arkansas brings with it changing temperatures and weather conditions fluctuating from dry and windy to cold and damp – and many of these conditions promote mold growth. Stale air from having the house closed up combined with rainy or snowy weather outside allows mold to thrive. Unfortunately, if left unchecked, mold can spread rapidly resulting in health problems ranging from throat irritation and sneezing to severe asthma attacks, fever, and hospitalization. Every homeowner should check for mold regularly and consistently work to prevent mold. When mold does occur, call the mold remediation professionals at NWA Restore It, Inc..
Checking For Mold
The first place to check for mold is around the windows of your home. Any cold surface can become a breeding ground for mold due to forming condensation. When inspecting for mold, keep in mind these key locations and surfaces where mold tends to grow:
- Around window frames
- Between panes of glass
- On windowsills
- Directly outside the windows
- Shower and bathtub walls
- Under sinks
- Under and around the refrigerator
The best way to deal with mold is to prevent mold from occurring in the first place. Forming a few simple habits can help keep your house mold-free and your family healthy. Here are a few things you should always do:
- Open your blinds. Letting some sun in can help kill mold before it can grow. Mold likes dark places, so try to get sunlight in as many areas as possible.
- Open your windows as you can. In Northwest Arkansas, even in winter, it can warm up enough to ventilate the house by opening the windows. Fresh air is useful for preventing mold.
- Keep the house clean. Regular scrubbing around windows and in the bathroom is important.
- Turn on the bathroom vent when taking a shower. If you don’t run the fan, the room fills with warm moisture and can become a breeding ground for mold.
- Run a dehumidifier. Keep potentially damp areas like basements dry by running a dehumidifier regularly.
Sometimes, even the best attempts to prevent mold are not enough and mold will grow anyways. If mold does begin to grow in your home, you must make sure that it is taken care of properly to prevent it from reoccurring. The experts at NWA Restore It, Inc. are trained to take care of mold the right way so that it does not return. We offer a number of services related to mold remediation:
- Sealing heating and cooling vents to stop additional contamination
- Lifting carpeting and padding to remove mold from tile floors
- Removing mold-infested materials such as wood paneling or drywall
- Tearing out damaged insulation layers
If you suspect that your home is infested with mold, then contact us today for a professional inspection and quote for our services.